Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 5th, 2012

Happy Summer fellow students! Surprisingly, I've been more busy now than I have been at school, but that doesn't mean I've been slacking on my survival world, oh no. I've been working on quite a few things, most of which are unfinished, but all are necessarily for mid-term goals with my world.


























First up, I'd like to talk about the mob grinder. Three of the four towers are now finished, and I am sitting at around 1,000 spawning spaces already. It works beautifully, and I already have two double chests full of loot from it (with most of the gunpowder being used for TNT as well). It seems to me that I'm going to need to install a lighting system on to have it shut off from time to time. I was planning on just forcing the items to drop down into a lava pit, but I have a new idea for my base that forces that to not be possible.

Functionally, I'm almost done with the mob grinder. Aesthetically, I have a lot of work to do on it, starting from the bottom and working my way up probably. It kind of looks unrealistic for that one central point to support these four towers, and I definitely want to change it.
















I mentioned that I had TNT before. In fact, I've used four stacks of it already. I didn't like that large mountain next to my base, and I definitely wanted to remove or re-shape it. I do believe I'll reshape it eventually, but for now, I'm just going to work on shallowing it out and moving it further away from the border of my base. The point I'm standing on in the third picture is also going to be shallowed out, but it's far enough away that I don't care about it for now.















Other than that, I've done a lot of caving. Specifically, I've started a branch mine, which is located just across the river. I'll probably create a fancy entrance for it later, but for now, I'm leaving it as is. And yes, in this picture, I'm up at the world height by stacking up there with nothing but redstone ore blocks and diamond ore blocks. I think it's safe to say that I can use diamond armor now. And I'm glad to finally have something in my redstone chest again.
















Finally, I've also been mining a lot of sand. The plan is to build a giant glass dome over my base, which is going to require something like 7,000 glass blocks. That's more than two double chests of glass, to put it in perspective. Half way there with the sand now though.

Recently, I've introduced my sister to the game. At first, she said she didn't like blocky games (would you believe it?) but as soon as I sat down with her and taught her how to play, she's been playing more often than I have. I actually set up a locally hosted server on our network for us to play on. I'm debating about whether or not to post pictures from it when we get it up and running. I'm still teaching her a lot about the game, but just yesterday she surprised me by showing me her zombie spawner xp farm. I'm glad she's willing to look some of this stuff up and work with it on her own. Pretty soon, she might be inventing things as well.

In closing, we are nearing a month since I first released my world. I think I'll make it a monthly occurance from now on, and you guys can get a good, scaled sense of my progress by using that. This time, I plan on making it a bit better, with signs directing you guys around in order to find key landmarks (which will be marked by glowstone pillars, most likely).

That's all I've got for now. Signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment