Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April 10th, 2012

Well, I wasn't kidding when I said that I had a lot of time off. There are many different things I'm going to be covering today.


In my quest to get enough redstone to make my End farm, I decided that I was going to kill two birds with one stone. I hate walking through the jungle every time I need to go to the stronghold or the desert that's also nearby. I decided to make a 3x3 tunnel that spans from my base to the stronghold, while going down to level 12. The height level I chose serves two purposes:
1. It gets rid of any chance that I'll run into it later when building underground.
2. It lets me hunt for diamonds.

I basically spent my Saturday digging out that tunnel and my Sunday polishing it up. I also ran into quite a few cool caves, and I got to make use of silk touch to pick up the diamonds I found, meaning I can get more when I finally get a fortune III pickaxe.

A cool double ravine I found












The finished entrance located in my base












A portion of the track down at level 12












I dislike having to use the iron on the tracks, but having it now will pay off in the future. Also, only one of those pillars burned down when I was putting them in the tunnel, so I did a pretty good job at covering up the lava pools around there. The pillars are spaced every 10 blocks in the tunnel, and I have a powered rail under every third pillar. While not the most efficient spacing for powered rails, I needed to do something like this to make the lighting work. Even so, in the very corner between two pillars, it reaches light level 7, which means spiders could spawn there, but the spawn is blocked because of the wall.

That is a lot of pistons












But where is all of my iron?












Now that the pistons are finished, I need to focus on two other materials before I can finish the End farm: slimeballs and redstone. I'm 800 redstone short (and I would still like to get at least 1,000 to have some in reserve) and I have practically no slimeballs. Personally, I'm bored of caving, so I decided to begin work on a second project: the automated slime farm.

Basically, the idea of this farm is that slimes spawn on pads, jump into water on their own accord, go to a collection point underground where the larger slimes are scaled down to their smaller versions (via drowning), climb a ladder, and then go to the collection chamber in my base, where I can kill them at my leisure. At the south side of my base, there are two adjacent chunks that spawn slimes. That works out perfect, as it is relatively close, and I can easily get them to a ladder up to my base.

My progress so far












I don't know why, but I always have to make my spawning rooms look nice. It's just something I've always done. I don't quite know what I'm going to do with the walls yet, but I imagine that the floor will just be stone brick, because it's relatively easy to collect. The ceiling is obviously made of sandstone, and I did manage to sneak in the new type of wood for the spawning pads.












I haven't done an overview shot in awhile, so I figured I'd add one in now. I'm kind of using my base as a tree farm for all different kinds of trees, and I was collecting birch wood for the slime farm, so that's what's growing in there now. You can also see my old chicken farm in the top left, which I'm going to disassemble now because I don't need arrows for awhile. The entrance to my minecart track is underneath the overlook, on the third tier. The slime collection point in my base will also be on the third tier, in the south corner (top right side is south).

That's all for now. Signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment