Thursday, March 22, 2012

1.2.4 - The Surprise Update

With practically no hints of this update coming at all, I was fairly surprised by what it contained. The old Bukkit devs are already hard at work for Mojang, it would seem. Several of these bugs have existed for quite some time, and I'm glad that they are finally patched.


However, that is not the point of this blog post. Despite being a fairly small version change, we still get two main feature updates: the mob behavior update to cats and the new decorative blocks (it seems cats have now had more work put into them than wolves T.T). I specifically wanted to discuss the new decorative blocks because that will directly affect my world (though it can't until the texture pack is updated, which d3fin3d has stated will be very soon).


There is a new sandstone texture created by placing normal sandstone blocks in a 2x2 pattern in the crafting grid. This sandstone texture is even more plain on the side of the block, which will look much better for the bottom border of my wall (which is fairly large, so a larger block texture looks better). That is a surefire change that I will be making as soon as I can update.


Sadly, those sandstone blocks do not look good when stacked on top of each other, so that limits their use somewhat.


Also, there appears to be no half slabs for the new wood planks yet. I'm sure that this is something that will happen in the future, but for now, I can't really change out the first tier of my base, which makes use of half slabs for the flooring (to help with lighting, as I've said before). Even if I could change them out, I don't know if I would, as I do plan on adding fences to the inner border, and the colors of the *new half slabs* and the fences would conflict.


There is a possibility that I could go with a fence style similar to how Docm77 has in his new world tour, which he uses to nice effect on bridges that are half slabs. That would allow me to make use of *new wooden half slabs* on the first tier of my base. Of course, this change hasn't happened yet, so until then, I won't be changing anything on the first tier.


Anyways, that's what I'm thinking in my mind right now. Gotta go study for a test now.


Signing out!


EDIT: The 1.2.4 version of the Defscape texture pack is now available, but my university blocks mediafire downloading, so I have to wait until the weekend to get the update.

No comments:

Post a Comment